Out-of-town and Overseas Voting

To receive a ballot from Wasco County, you must first be registered to vote here. See additional details below for more information.

How do I get my ballot if I'm out-of-town during an election?
If you will be absent from Wasco County when ballots are mailed, you may apply for an absentee ballot. Out of state absentee ballots are mailed 30 days before the election. To apply for an absentee ballot, print the Absentee Ballot Request Form and return it to the Wasco County Elections Office.

How do I get my ballot if I'm in the military or overseas?
If you are a military or overseas voter, you can receive assistance from our office and the Federal Voting Assistance Program. Simply fill out the Military/Long Term Absentee Application Form (used for all military personnel, dependents or citizens currently outside the U.S.), and return it to our office. Military and overseas ballots will be mailed 45 days before the election.

New Voter Registration  
Anyone who is a resident of Oregon, a United States citizen and at least 16 years of age may register to vote (if you are under 18 years of age, you may register to vote at 16 but will not be able to vote until you turn 18 years of age). You may register at any time; however, your voter registration card must be postmarked by the 21st day before the election at which you intend to vote.

If you would like to register to vote and you have an Oregon Driver's License, Permit or I.D. number issued by the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles, you can register online through the Secretary of State's Oregon Online Voter Registration page.

If you do not have a DMV number or are changing your name, please use the SEL 500 Oregon Voter Registration Card. You will need to fill it out, print and deliver the printed form to our office so that we can record your signature.

Updating Voter Registration
You must update your registration when: your residence or mailing address changes; your name or signature changes; or you wish to change your party affiliation (party affiliations cannot be designated or changed after the 21st day before a primary election). You can update online through the Secretary of State's My Vote page, by calling our office and requesting a registration card be mailed to you, or simply stopping by our office and filling out a new card.

Registering to vote if you don't have Oregon identification 
The federal "Help America Vote Act 2002" requires individuals registering to vote in federal elections to provide identifying information with their voter registration card:

  • If you have a current, valid Oregon DMV Driver's License/ID, that number must be provided on the voter registration card.
  • If you do not have a current, valid Oregon DMV Driver's License/ID, you must check the appropriate box on the registration card and provide the last four digits of your Social Security number.
  • If you do not have a current, valid Oregon DMV Driver's License/ID, or Social Security number, you must check the appropriate boxes on the registration card and provide one of the following:
    • A current and valid photo identification that shows your name.
    • A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows your name and address. The address must match the residence or mailing address on your voter registration card.