How to Record a Document

Documents to be recorded must follow specific requirements per Oregon law (see details on the Recording Requirements page). If you need help putting a document together, seeing a land attorney is a good choice. A land attorney can best advise you legally to ensure that your document will accomplish what you want it to accomplish. A Title Company can also help you if your transaction is an “insurable event,” such as purchasing a house.

Once the document you are wanting to record has been completed, you will need to present the original document to the Clerk’s Office for recording along with the appropriate recording fee. Options to record with our office include:

  1. Mailing documents to our office
  2. Submitting documents electronically via eRecording
  3. Bringing the documents into our office in the Wasco County Courthouse
See the Clerk's Office section of the Wasco County Fee Schedule to determine the correct recording fee (make checks payable to the Wasco County Clerk), or call our office for assistance.

The Clerk's Office is prohibited from:
  • Giving legal advice 
  • Helping fill out documents 
  • Suggesting what type of document to use 
  • Accepting illegible documents 
  • Recording documents other than those specified by Oregon and federal law
If you need assistance with land use issues, our Land Records Vendors flyer has a list of resources. 

Please note: The Wasco County Clerk's Office does not provide notary services.
 Notary services are typically provided by banks, attorney's offices and title companies. You can also search online through the American Association of Notaries.