If you're a disabled veteran or the surviving spouse of a veteran, you may be entitled to the Veteran's Property Tax Exemption.
To be eligible you must be either:
- an honorably discharged, disabled veteran with a 40% disability documented with the Department of Veterans Affairs, or a 40% disability documented through a private physician and meet an income restriction, OR
- the surviving spouse, remaining unmarried, of an honorably discharged veteran.
- you must own and live on your homestead property.
- For 2022, the basic exemption for a disabled veteran or their surviving spouse is $24,071 of assessed value.
- The exemption for a service connected disability is $28,886 of assessed value.
- Both of these amounts increase each year by 3%.
- You need to file an application with our office by April 1.
- Documentation for your claim:
- disability rating certificate from the Department of Veteran's Affairs or a disability rating certificate from a licensed physician
- marriage certificate
- veteran's death certificate
Please click here for the disabled veteran and surviving spouse exemption application claim form.