Existing Building

The process outlined below is generalized to give you an idea what it takes to locate a business in Wasco County. For more details and contact information for the appropriate agencies please view the business siting guides!

Step 1:  Contact the planning department responsible for land use in your location to determine if the use is permitted in that zone and to get a permit for any additions. This office is also likely your stop for any floodplain, sanitation and historical building permits. They will also have information about possible Urban Renewal financing to help with improvements. If you will be making building modifications or if your use is more intense than the previous use, the planning department will set up a Pre-Application Meeting with you to discuss the project and next steps to receive the appropriate permits.
Step 2:  The State of Oregon Building Codes Division operates the building codes program on behalf of Wasco, Sherman, Gilliam, and Wheeler Counties.   Provide required information to them through the e-permitting website, call them at 541-506-2650 or visit their office at 2705 East 2nd St, The Dalles, OR  97058
 if permits are required and discuss any fire, life, or safety upgrades required. Generally, a permit is required to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system.

Step 3:  Contact the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality if you are remodeling an existing building and suspect there might be hazardous materials. The proper removal of hazardous materials is essential. Potential hazardous materials include asbestos, underground fuel tanks, hazardous waste, water quality, used woodstoves, or dust problems.