Construct a New Building

This page was created to provide an overview of the permitting process for constructing a new building to house your business. For more details and contact information for the agency serving your location check out the Business Siting Guides!

Step 1:   Start with the Planning or Community Development Department that covers your location to determine if the use is permitted in that zone and to initiate a planning permit. This office is also your stop for any floodplain and sanitation permits. 

Step 2:   Once you have a tentative site plan, set up a Pre-Application Meeting with the Planning Department. They will also invite the Fire Marshall, Building Codes, and utilities to this meeting for a site plan review.

Some additional tips: 

  • You can find initial information on your property through the Wasco County Web Map and with your relevant planning department's website as well. 
  • If you are using a contractor to remodel or build your space, don't forget to check the Oregon Construction Contractor's Board to ensure they are licensed and bonded. Searches can be conducted at

Step 3:    If you are growing a business in the City of The Dalles, contact the City of The Dalles' Economic Development staff to discuss potential incentives available through The Dalles/Wasco County Enterprise Zone or the Urban Renewal District. If you are growing a business in another area of Wasco County, reach out to the EDC's staff listed on the left to discuss whether your location and business are eligible for the Enterprise Zone. Note: This must be done prior to starting to construct or alter a building in order to qualify for the incentives.

Step 4:   Wasco County operates the building codes program for all jurisdictions within the County.  Reach out to find out if permits are required and discuss any fire, life, or safety upgrades required. Generally, a permit is required to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system. For quesions, call  541-506-2650 or visit their office at 2705 East 2nd St, The Dalles, OR  97058. More information on their process can be found at their website.