Pioneering Pathways to Prosperity
Partner with our citizens to proactively meet their needs and create opportunities
Performs skilled manual tasks in maintaining municipal and rural county roads, right-of-ways, bridges and other related facilities using automotive or other equipment used on/in road construction or maintenance.
Essential Functions (greater than or equal to 90% of time):
- Works independently or with a crew on road maintenance or construction projects such as paving, patching, mowing, brush cutting, ditching, culverts, fences, guard rails and bridges.
- Performs manual labor such as flagging, traffic control, digging ditches, cleaning and installing culverts, cleaning road shoulders, bridge repairs, building fences, cutting and disposing of brush, setting chokers, installing guard rails and removing trash and other debris.
- Performs emergency repairs and maintenance day or night and during extreme inclement weather as assigned.
- Responsible for project safety such as proper work practices and the installation and maintenance of adequate safety devices for the protection of self, fellow employees and the general public.
- Cooperates with, and maintains harmonious relations with other employees and the general public.
- Truck Driver – Operates a dump truck in hauling the dumping of maintenance or construction materials, operates a transport truck to move heavy equipment to and from job location.
- Loader Operator – Operates front end loader in moving earth and rocks, filling trucks or other operations.
- Roller – Operates roller in paving or base preparation operations.
- Minor maintenance of equipment may be assigned or required.
- Must maintain regular and predictable hours.
- Any employee may be required by their manager to perform any of the duties described in his/her position description, and other duties which may be necessary or desirable and for which the employee is qualified.
Secondary Functions (less than 10% of time):
- Snow Plowing, graveling, weekends, after hours. Etc.
- Any employee may be required by their manager to perform other duties which may be necessary or desirable and for which the employee is qualified.
Scope and Accountability:
Work under the supervision of a supervisor or maintenance person of a higher grade.
Supervision is not a normal responsibility of this class, but duties may involve occasionally acting as a lead worker over a few employees of lower rank.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Valid Oregon CDL, Class A
- To perform each essential duty satisfactory.
- Knowledge of the operation, maintenance and minor repair of equipment.
- Ability to operate equipment safely under adverse condition.
- Good physical condition to permit manual work out doors.
- Ability to drive large vehicles and equipment.
- Follow supervisor’s written/oral direction.
- Communicate effectively with public and subordinates.
- Work as team player.
- Knowledge and ability to become familiar with the county road system.
- High School diploma or general education Degree.
- One to three months of road maintenance experience or training.
- Valid flagging certificate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regularly works near heavy equipment and moving mechanical parts in outside weather conditions and is regularly exposed to fumes and/or airborne particles (dust, smoke, etc.) and vibration (operation of equipment, etc.) The employee is also exposed to cold and extreme heat. Noise level in work environment is usually up to 80 decibels without hearing protection.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to fingers, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to taste or smell. Regularly lift and/or move up to 50 lbs, frequently lift and/or move 50 to 100lbs., and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distant, color, peripheral, depth vision , and the ability to adjust focus.
Contact : Human Resources
511 Washington St. Ste 206
The Dalles, OR 97058
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled