Job Title: Payroll/HR Generalist
Reports To: Finance Director/Finance Manager
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt
Department: Finance & HR
Salary Grade: Non-Rep. “J”
Salary Range: $3,540.70 to $4,106.13/month
Revision Date: 06/28/2017
Performs accounting tasks in preparation and maintenance of the payroll, tax and benefit system. Performs duties necessary for the accurate calculation of wages, maintenance of employee records and distribution of withheld monies. May perform transactional human resource duties based on need. Complies with applicable state and federal laws
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Processes all new employees and regular employee's required forms including change-of-status forms; reviews personnel action to ensure conformity with established guidelines and policies. Including enrollment, changes and terminations of participants in all benefit plans.
- Maintains unemployment and workers’ compensation records, claims and reports.
- Assists with orientation, distributes policy and benefit information and enrolls employees into benefit programs such as CIS insurance and PERS.
- Completes the payroll process in its entirety.
- Secondary contact for employment questions.
- Reconciles and pays all benefit programs on appropriate schedule.
- May be required to perform other duties which may be necessary or desirable and for which the employee is qualified.
Scope and Accountability:
The overall scope and accountability of this position is to accurately complete the tasks needed to ensure an accurate payroll following Wasco County’s policies and procedures. This position also ensures employees are satisfactorily managed in benefit programs. There are no supervisory duties. Attention to detail and professionalism are profoundly vital in this position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge of: personnel administration, accounting and payroll principles, particularly as applied to governmental organizations; record keeping and reporting methods and procedures. Effective oral and written communication skills including spelling, punctuation, capitalization, word usage and sentence construction of the English language as necessary to detect and correct errors in prepared material; policies and procedures of the payroll and personnel administration and their office practices and procedures. General knowledge of various employment and payroll laws and practices.
Ability to: apply accounting principles to the maintenance of payroll, fiscal records and statements; tabulate statistical data and compile necessary reports; make independent decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures; perform duties with initiative and sound judgment; establish and maintain good working relationships using resourcefulness and tact while working with other employees and the public. Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain working relationships with applicants, employees, County officials, labor union representatives and the general public. Ability to exhibit a high level of confidentiality. Ability to interpret and apply County policies and contract agreements
Skill in: the operation of standard office machinery including a 10 key and computer. Excellent computer skills, including Word, Excel and Microsoft Windows environment. Skills in database management and record keeping. Excellent organizational skills and detail oriented.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Two (2) year college degree in a related field of Accounting or Human Resources, preferably a four (4) year college degree;
- PLUS minimum of two (2) years experience with payroll and/or human resource programs or closely related work; or
- any satisfactory combination of experience and training as determined by hiring authority may be considered.
Work Environment: This position works in an office setting.
Contact : Contact : Wasco County Human Resoures
511 Washington St. Ste 206
The Dalles, OR 97058
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled